Spanish Geothermal Technology Platform (Geoplat)
Executive Committee Member: Margarita de Gregorio, Geoplat, Spain
The Spanish Geothermal Technology Platform – GEOPLAT – is a scientific-technical sectorial coordination group consisting of all relevant stakeholders in geothermal energy in Spain. GEOPLAT is a tool of the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness (MEIC). Also, it has the support of the Spanish Institute for Diversification and Saving of Energy (IDAE) and the Spanish Centre for Industrial Technology Development (CDTI).
GEOPLAT’s main aim is to identify and develop sustainable strategies for the promotion and marketing of geothermal energy in Spain. GEOPLAT covers all R&D activities in terms of identification and evaluation of resources, as well as the use of this renewable energy and technology related to it.
Sustainability and regulatory framework aspects are considered in all activities of the Platform, as well as the relationships and collaboration with other similar platforms, both nationally and within Europe.
The specific objectives of GEOPLAT are:
- To provide a framework within which all sectors involved in the development of geothermal energy, led by industry, work together in a coordinated manner to ensure the commercial settlement of this renewable energy and its continuous growth, in a competitive and sustainable form.
- To publicise the potential of geothermal energy and in particular the results and recommendations of the Platform in all related sectors.
- To participate in international forums and other activities related to this renewable energy.
- To analyze the current status of geothermal energy in Spain considering all stages of the value chain, from the different types of resources to its end use, taking into account all the technologies that allow its use.
- To identify barriers (regulatory, financial, technological, etc.) that hinder the implementation of geothermal energy, and to set out strategies and sustainable alternatives, in particular technology-related, in order to help to reduce its risk and to boost its development.
- To promote coordination between the different players in the system (science-technology-company) involved in the technological chain, and encourage business participation in the development of action plans on geothermal energy and in particular, in R &D marketing.
- To promote training at all levels related to geothermal energy, to raise awareness and to mobilize society and governments at national, regional and local levels.
- To identify R&D needs and to recommend funding for research in strategic areas throughout the field of geothermal energy, considering all the steps and technologies involved in the process.
For more information about GEOPLAT, please visit: www.geoplat.org/main_in.html (in English).